Friday, June 25, 2010

Go and read something else worthwhile (err...Welcome to My Blog)

I'll have you know, there is a lot of pressure associated with producing the very first entry on a blog.  I should know a little something about this topic - this is like my fourth attempt at establishing an on-going blog (emphasis on the word 'on-going').

So, to set the tone for all of the upcoming pearls of wisdom and wit, do I: write something pithy and topical about the BP oil spill, write something upbeat and entertaining about the Cubs or Blago, or simply author an accounting of my personal life?

No - I choose to cheerily go on my way and ignore the pictures of the poor birds and the poor BP retirees in the UK, no - those lovable losers/Illinois politics have pretty been much unmitigated disasters during my entire lifetime, and no - I don't even want to read about what random oddity or perceived slight passes for a crisis in my mundane day-to-day existence.

Instead, for my first act, I will just bail here and direct your attention to what a real blog should look like:
underherthumb.blogspot.com (*)

This is written by a charming and excellent writer named Jackie, who used to write an insightful personal finance blog for The Daily Herald.  Now she has turned her rapier wit to: her fast-track career in the banking industry, the Wedding of the Century (well, the non-British, non-royalty one), and the joys and splendid triumphs of being pregnant.  (Okay, I'm kidding about that last one - if I had to undergo even a fraction of the mental and physical strain that Jackie describes, I would be so insufferable, my wife would roll me away like a giant Japanese Violet Beauregarde, never to be seen again.)

It really is a quite fantastic and self-deprecating look at the various aspects of modern life, and how to manage to figure it out and not get screwed by it all.  (Yeah - that is the dust-jacket quote I will pick for her best-selling book, if she ever decides to publish it.)  'The Sopranos', corn mazes, and being falsely accused (allegedly) of license plate frame foul play - it is amazing the detail and humor she can bring to such disparate topics.

If you get a chance, do check it out.  And once I have finished reading up myself on how this is supposed to be done, I might just write another post of my own.

* - I've looked up the phrase 'under her thumb' to see what exactly it is referring to, and I came up with this example: "Paul won’t do anything without asking his wife first.  She has really got him under her thumb."  So, from this rather instructive title, we already kind of get an inkling about the dynamics in the writer's relationship.
Told you she was good, right?

1 comment:

  1. Charming and excellent! Oh my, I certainly wouldn't go *that* far. But thanks for making my day. And let's keep this new blog of yours rolling, okay???

    ReplyDelete